Saturday, January 6, 2018

#167) Gun Control/Common Sense


January 6, 2018

Dear Mr. President,

Like most adults, I own a car.  I own a car because I need a car – it is an essential tool designed to transport me, my family, and my stuff from point A to point B.

In order to own and operate this car I first had to wait until I was 16 and a half years old and then take a 10 week driver's education class incorporating both 30 hours of classroom instruction and 12 hours of behind the wheel instruction with a certified instructor (as well as 40 hours of practice/supervised driving with my parents).  Upon completion of that certified driver education program, I then had to take a written test and a driving test plus a vision test with the Department of Motor Vehicles.  Passing those tests allowed me to get my driver's license.  This license carries my current picture and address and must be on my person or in my vehicle whenever I am behind the wheel.

In Massachusetts where I grew up parents or legal guardians are also required to take 2 hour of driver's education designed to teach them how to properly supervise their teen during the additional 40 hours of supervised driving required to get a junior operator's licensed.

Once I was legal to drive (a process that took a full year) I bought a car.  All cars come with a VIN number, a unique alpha-numeric identifier allowing the car to be tracked, identified and registered.  But before my car could even be registered it had to be inspected by a licensed mechanic who looked it over from top to bottom to make sure it was structurally and mechanically sound enough to be safe on the road.  This inspection must be repeated every single year regardless of the age of the vehicle or how little it is driven.

So, with inspection sticker in hand and a clean VIN number (meaning the car hadn't been stolen or used for any nefarious purposes), I registered the car with the Department of Motor Vehicles.  They issued my car a license plate (2 plates actually) which must be properly displayed and easily visible at all times.  So now my car has two unique identifiers:  the VIN number and the license plate on top of being officially registered with the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.  This registration must be renewed every single year. 

Believe it or not, despite all of this training, education and oversight, I still can't legally drive my car.  I must also have an insurance policy for the car because even though it is designed as a tool for transportation, it could potentially hurt or even kill someone.  Remember, it's not designed to hurt or kill someone.  It just has the potential to do so, and because of this potential I must pay for an insurance policy that would protect and reimburse anyone who may be injured by my car, even if only accidentally.  Also, I can be pulled over by any police officer in any state at any time and must be able to produce proof of license, registration, and insurance or else my car could be impounded, locked up and removed from the road. 

Now consider this:  to own a semi-automatic gun, a tool actually designed to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible, all I have to do is have enough money to purchase it. That's it.  Heck, I can buy a pistol for my 5 year old and give it to him for Christmas!  God Bless America!  Let freedom ring.

Sincerely,



Amy Beaton

P.S.  If you don't see the obvious problem here than you are an even bigger idiot than I thought. 



No comments:

Post a Comment