Saturday, July 8, 2017

#135) Nationalism is Dangerous


July 8, 2017

Dear Mr. President,

Congratulations, you were warmly welcomed by Poland.  Do you want to know why?
The short answer is nationalism (there's a much longer answer but the White House website limits me to 2,500 characters so let's just stick with that).

Much like yourself, Polish MP Jaroslaw Kaczynski is gaining power by riding a wave of populism and putting Polish national interests first.  For example, he has refused to take international refugees into his country citing the "fact" that they carry diseases (much the way you cite the "fact" that they are all terrorists).

Now, nationalism has its place in the world and is fine to a point.  I mean, every nation wants to promote their strength and unity.  Everyone wants to take pride in their own national identity.  I certainly do and I'm sure millions of Polish people do too.  But when a nation promotes its own greatness to the exclusion of otherswell, then we have a problem.  A big, fat, Nazi-sized problem.

I know how this story goes and I don't like the ending.  That's why I will be doing everything in my power to change the story, confirm the facts, speak the truth and build a community where no one is left behind or left out.  I may not have as much power as you or Mr. Kaczynski, but I'm not exactly powerless either.

Sincerely,
Amy Beaton

No comments:

Post a Comment