Tuesday, April 18, 2017

#71) Are We Having Fun Yet?


April 18, 2017

Dear Mr. President,

I follow politics the way most people follow sports; I've got my favorite teams and my favorite players, I cheer for the victories and I groan for the defeats and I enjoy watching to see what will happen next. But this thing I've got following you, it's not fun.  It's not a pastime and I definitely don't enjoy it.  It's depressing and scary at the same time because you are supremely unqualified to be president yet you control the fate of our country and the 324,000,000 people who live here.  But writing to you, bringing people's attention to your actions, and shining the light of common sense on your foibles feels very important to me.  So here I sit and write.

My husband always accuses me of oversimplifying things, and maybe I do.  But some things just don't need to be over-complicated.  Take North Korea for example: do you know why we haven't attacked them openly despite their years of military buildup?  Because they will attack back.  Do you know what's better than nuclear war in the Pacific Rim?  A cold war in the Pacific Rim (hey don't laugh, we did it for 45 years with the Soviet Union).  Do you know what's less effective than strategic patience?  Mike Pence in a leather bomber jacket making threats like a schoolyard bully.

If you'd like me to untangle any other weighty issues on your presidential to-do list I'll be in Washington, DC Sunday through Thursday.  Give me a call. We'll do lunch.

Sincerely,
Amy Beaton

No comments:

Post a Comment