Wednesday, April 26, 2017

#78) Information vs. Knowledge


April 26, 2017

Dear Mr. President,

The other day when you met with Italian Prime Minister Gentiloni you were trying to praise Italy's contributions to art and culture but you mispronounced the name Verdi and then said that Luciano Pavarotti is (not was) "a friend of mine.  A great friend."  He, of course, died in 2007.  Much like Frederick Douglass (19th century abolitionist, also very dead) who you said is an "example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more I notice."  (At least you didn't say he was your friend). Which all leads me to think about the difference between information and knowledge.

As POTUS you have access to information, almost unlimited information.  You are surrounded by staff able tell you almost anything that you wish you to hear.  But what you don't have is knowledge.  Knowledge is what makes someone uniquely them.  It is only acquired through experience and/or education.  Knowledge is the way that you collect and cluster information to make it useful.  It's how you apply information.

When you make mistakes like you did with Mr. Gentiloni, it is more than just a social gaff, it is what's at the root of why I don't think you should be the President of the United States; you don't have the knowledge.  You look at the information presented to you but you only get a partial picture because you are missing the ever-critical knowledge that would make the information useful and meaningful.

You have tremendous business knowledge through your years of real estate development and tax evasion.  Now if I wanted to build a hotel in a large American city with someone else's money and avoid paying taxes on it, you would definitely be my go-to guy because that is your area of expertise and knowledge.  But that's not what I want.  I want comprehensive, affordable heath care.  I want an environment that is safe and clean. I want banks to stop stealing money from hard working Americans.  I want affordable and safe prescription medications. I want a government that works together to legislate quickly and equitably.  I want world peace.  And you just don't have the experience and/or education to make these things possible.  This becomes more and more clear to me with every passing day and with every new blunder. 

Play to your strengths Mr. Trump.  This isn't the job for you and no amount of information can turn you into the world leader that you would like to be or that we need you to be.

Sincerely,
Amy Beaton

No comments:

Post a Comment