Wednesday, March 15, 2017

#41) I'm Watching You


March 15, 2017

Dear Mr. President,

During the campaign you said - well you promised actually - that you wouldn't cut Social Security.  But fast forward a few months to today and you have appointed as head Michael Corby, a former lobbyist who has spent most of his professional career fighting to cut and privatize Social Security!!  I'm noticing that while the media is clogged up with the "big" issues of your administration (like immigration, wire tapping, health care, and the border wall) a lot of "little" stuff is sneaking by under the radar.  There's been very little investigation or media attention into smaller appointments such as Michael Corby's.  And that is very scary because that man is poised to do a LOT of damage to a LOT of innocent and unsuspecting people.

When you said, "drain the swamp" that seemed pretty self-explanatory to me and I thought I understood itbut I guess I really didn't.  Because how is appointing Michael Corby considered draining the swamp?  I'm just so baffled by the disconnect between what you say and what you do.  Perhaps you think this is a business strategya keep-them-guessing kind of thing? But really it just makes you look like A) a liar, and B) like you're in over your head and not really sure what you're doing.  Although I have to admit it's pretty crafty of you make what should be a highly controversial appointment at a time when no one is paying any attention.  Very clever Mr. Trump. 

But how are all of those low income, un or under employed people who voted for you going to feel when they see what you are doing to their beloved Social Security?  Millions of hard working people are dependent on Social Security.  For hundreds of thousands of people Social Security is their only plan for the retirement years.  They have no personal savings, 401Ks, IRAs, or investiments to rely on. For the most part "the people" haven't noticed what you are doing.  But they will eventually.  And what will happen when they catch on? 

My favorite idea to change the Social Security system comes from Bernie Sanders.  And I know that I've sent this to you before, but I'm sending it again because it is just so perfectly perfect.  So here goes:

"Today, a CEO making $50 million a year pays the same amount into Social Security as someone earning $117,000.  If we lifted the cap and applied the Social Security payroll tax on incomes above $250,000 we could extend the solvency of Social Security for another 47 years. And that's exactly what my legislation does."

It's perfect, right?  I'm going to send a letter to Michael Corby just so he knows.

Sincerely,
Amy "The People" Beaton

P.S.  Don't forgetI'm watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment